FUNDEA aims to create a space for dialogue and cooperation between Arab countries and those of the European Union.
The Foundation was entrusted with promoting cultural, scientific and economic relations between Europe and the Arab World throughout the spreading of scientific and humanistic knowledge produced in universities and other centres for scientific research or artistic creation, either national or international, in order to contribute to the reinforcement of the dialogue between Arab and European States.
For that purpose, the Foundation focuses on the promotion of studies and research as well as platforms and forums of discussion and debate. By means of collaboration agreements, the Foundation maintains relations with educational, cultural, research and economic institutions in order to strengthen ties among countries in Europe and in the Arab World.
It is known that in the area of culture there is an enormous scope for misunderstanding. But also culture is by nature egalitarian, and FUNDEA works with the conviction that culture can be both the basis of and the means for an equitable relationship, the perfect ground for equals to work together towards a Euro-Arab relationship where mutual perceptions can be worked with to create opportunities, feed into reflection and strengthen actions.
FUNDEA operates, in all its areas, fully aware that the principle of mutual respect is the one leading to a change of vision if attitudes are to change. In a world shaken by the sudden radicalisation of conflicts there is a need to put away both irresponsible relativism and advocacy for uniformity. Democracy will necessarily bear the imprint of the cultures in which it has developed.
Violence is the enemy of dialogue, but also vague words and empty speeches can damage dialogue. Actors in dialogue need contacts, movement, meetings, projects, networks and money. FUNDEA’s team makes all possible efforts to make a difference in each of the activities and proposals that we work on.
FUNDEA’s Objectives and Institutional Goals
• Promotion of teaching and learning exchange, research and cooperation with institutions located in other geographical areas of reference, particularly in the Euro-Mediterranean basin. We intend to instil our research students the ability and passion for research, as well as an understanding of the importance of transfer in socio-economic progress. This objective includes undertaking assorted training activities such as seminars, summer schools, etc.
• Providing doctoral and postdoctoral studies of high quality, which is both competitive and attractive on an international level. FUNDEA designs, manages and promotes post-graduate studies. Our work is focused on taking full advantage of the sorts of tools and technologies that have transformed every other aspect of life to power up not only students’ learning but their understanding of diversity, by offering programs run by universities and research centres across different countries.
• Contribution to a nations’ economic development synonymous with environmental protection, fighting against climate disruption, urban and rural improvements and social progress for all. FUNDEA addresses such challenges of economic development mainly through training programs in executive management.
• Full implementation of a wide, transparent and well informed network of institutional and social partnerships. We assist through removing some of the collaboration obstacles existing between cultures: mutual perceptions, role of the media, denials of rights, dignity, liberty, equality, etc.
• Each decision and action taken in order to accomplish the above mentioned objectives must be analyzed with regard to the impacts it can have on society as a whole. We are well aware that education, tolerance and development require a greater involvement of the different stakeholders which are part in the processes, both in the East and West, national and local, public and private, by creating spaces for knowledge.